The history behind
1510 - 1536
Squire Jakob Andersen of Voergaard makes over the farm to the Bishop of Børglum, Niels Stygge Krumpen. Stygge Krumpen lives at Voergaard with Elsebeth Gyldenstjerne, whom he had stolen from her husband, knight Bonde Due.
During this period, Stygge Krumpen extends and reinforces Voergaard's defences with a view to making the farm the headquarters of his entire diocese, which gradually came to own the entire area of Vendsyssel.
Voergaard is conquered by Skipper Clement's peasant army in 1534 and, after the Reformation in 1536, the farm becomes the property of the king.
1578 - 1588
Frederik II makes over Voergaard to Karen Krabbe.
Ingeborg Skeel takes over Voergaard from her mother Karen Krabbe and starts construction of the renaissance wing, designed by Dutch developer Phillip Brandin. The building is finished in 1588. Frederik II gives Ingeborg Skeel the impressive sandstone portal originally intended for Frederiksborg Slot.
1644 - 1872
With his voluntary army of peasant farmers, Colonel Vogn Vognsen conquerers Voergaard in 1644. Until then, Voergaard had been staff quarters for the Swedish occupying forces.
During the wars from 1627 – 29 and 1643 – 45, Voergaard comes under attack on several occasions. After many years of changing ownership and decay, Peter Brønnum-Scavenius takes over Voergaard in 1872 and embarks on an extensive renovation project. He buys back some of the land which once belonged to the castle before it was sold off.
By his death in 1914, Voergaard is once again one of the largest estates in Denmark with just under 4,800 acres of land.
1955 - 1963
The Danish/French Count E. Oberbech-Clausen buys Voergaard in 1955 and starts extensive restoration. The count had made his fortune in France and married the widow of Compte Chenu-Lafitte.
The countess was the daughter of the famous surgeon Péan and much of the extensive art collection comes from these families.
In 1963, Oberbech-Clausen dies and Voergaard is made over to a family trust, the aim of which is to preserve the castle for posterity and keep the art collection open to the public.